Monday, July 16, 2007

A Complete Mystery

One of the first things they tell you as you become an adult and assume the responsibility of things like paying for gas is that you should always look for the cheapest gas around, because those nickles and dimes add up. And, of course with gas prices being what they are, there's very rarely s need to convince people to search out cheap gas.

Which is why the Shell gas station on the corner of La Mirada and Imperial is truly a mystery to me. You see, while Sam's Club prices are currently roughly $2.92/gl, and ARCO is $2.89/gl, and even the Chevron down the street is $2.99/gl, the Shell gas station on the corner of La Mirada and Imperial is a lonely courageous soul. Rather than offering competitive prices to challenge the other stations (or even to be comparable to the station across the street) the Shell at that corner offers gas at generally no less than $.30 more than the most expensive competitors. I believe the last listed price I saw was something like $3.37/gl. I think this might be the station that inflates the national average gas price.

The oddest thing is that I actually see people getting gas there...I think I might even have gotten gas there once. I just don't get it; how could any manager think this is a good idea? Whatever the reasons, I salute the brave gesture flying in the face of the free market. You go, Shell of La Mirada & Imperial; overcharge for your wares at such a ridiculous rate that it baffles the mind why anyone offers you any business.

Perhaps they're a front for the La Mirada Mafia...

1 comment:

Linds said...

Or maybe they think they're in San Jose. Are you kidding with these prices? I dream of paying less than $3.00/gl! I should go back to LA.