Friday, August 22, 2008

At the End of the Summer

Summer is about to end, and I might actually have more time to finally reflect on what has been happening now then I did during the three months of vacation.

This Summer was a good time for our family. We traveled for the first time since our Honeymoon for the purpose of pleasure. For the first time in 5 years, we got a vacation. In Cancun, the beaches were beautiful, the saphire water , and the wind warm and wet. Sheri and I spent the whole time feeling like we were back home in the Philippines. We stood in on the field amidst ruins of Mayan temples that were being used while Rome was fighting off the Huns during a lightening storm. I narrowly avoided ending up in a Mexican prison. I almost broke the trade embargo on Cuba. It was a good vacation.

We bought a house in Valencia. After living for 5 years in the same small and overly cramped apartment, its difficult to express just how exciting it is to be expanding into nearly 2000 sq ft. Aiden will finally have his own room...Sheri and I will have our own room...I will have an office. While I would never describe myself as even remotely sad to leave "Ramhurst Manor" there can be no denying that, as I walked through the barren apartment Tuesday evening, it was a moment worthy of reflection. It was the place my bride and I called home after our wedding. It was where we shared our first Christmas together. Where we brought my son home from the hospital. I have never lived anywhere as long as we lived in that apartment, and though I can barely express my excitement about moving (though that might also be because I am exhausted from moving and painting...) it holds a special place in my heart.

I am starting my new job (yes, again...) at Trinity Classical Academy. I will be teaching really great 7th and 8th grade students Writing, Lit, Bible, History, Logic, and Theatre. Its been a great Summer. Hopefully I'll finally get enough time to blog!

No comments: