Friday, July 08, 2005

Write a Book

I think I would love to actually write a book. I've tried before...everyone who loves books has probably. My fatal flaw was detail...I would get so worried about trying to give a detailed description of what I saw in my mind that the book was incredibly dull...or overly complicated. Of course, I was writing my great novel at the right old age of 10 years, but I was certain I could get something out that would be worth reading. After all, I made all the stories for all the games that we played as kids. Between my brother and I, we owned something like 200 GI Joes (not those large, Barbie-type dolls, but the actual GI Joes that were, I guess, small but in my opinion SOOO much better...but I digress) and the left-overs of the Star Wars figures, superheroes, even action figures from the movie Hook. We played with them for hours...and usually the majority of my time was spent setting them up in my imaginary scenarios--they had countries, kingdoms, governments, backstories, families, everything. I was reading Tolkien and Lewis, so I borrowed a great deal from those masters to sculpt my stories--mostly the names of the different lands. But there were entirely original epic wars and stories too. In fact, I was so wrapped up in it all, I didn't let my brother really play with me--and half of the toys were his. Sigh. Big brothers can be jerks...what else can be said?

Anyways, I'm thinking it shouldn't be impossible to write a good story. I've read enough...watched enough...and I am always taking in more...eventually, once you've consumed enough, if you DON'T start producing something yourself, it starts to fester, you know? We'll see. Maybe I'll never be a good story teller. More importantly, perhaps I'll never be a good writer...but it seems like it would be a worthwhile goal to try.

2 comments:

James said...

Hey, and it's not just novels; remember plays, poems, screenplays and adaptations!

Chris said...

Too true. Though, I gotta admit, my eyes are set on the big goal: fantasy. If, afterwards, I was able to make it into a movie, then so much the better...but I would love to actually be responsible for adding another fantasy world to the mix.

Actually--this is another reason I've historically had a hard time starting--I am incredibly intimidated by the company I would presume to join. Even writing something as good as the Harry Potter series is harder than it seems--and I idolize Lewis and Tolkien and would love to do something akin to what they did...but of course, I am a peon to there gigantic presences.

Still...I keep telling myself that if I never begin, I'll never have anything to show, and after all--though it will most assuredly NOT be as good as Tolkien, Lewis or even Lawhead or Rowling, it can still be worth something. Maybe. Right?