Sunday, June 12, 2005

A Great Day

My family is here this week. They're missionaries in the Philippines and they are headed back there after having spent a year on home ministry. And, naturally, before going back they are getting some quality time with us. Its a priority because the miles are long and the environment is at least mildly dangerous (for them) and they don't get to go through without spending time with us. We always have a good time--working out those little adjustments that come with growing up and being friends with your parents--and we always do something that I remember for a long time afterwards.

Today was particularly good though. We had decided to drive up to Big Bear and spend the day up there. For those of you not in California or unfamiliar with Big Bear...its really beautiful up there--a town built about 7000 ft above the rest of us around a beautiful lake. We don't get to go there often...so the charm really hasn't worn off. Not whole lot to do up there (if you're not intending to spend a lot of money) beyond walk and look at shops and what not...but when you go with that in mind, it can be a lot of fun. Today really was.

And I needed that. These past two weeks have been a little difficult. Having never known exactly what I wanted to be, over the past few months that has been a serious issue...and it only intensified over the past two weeks. So, needless to say, it was a real relief today to just get (literally) above it all and walk in the trees and think only about how beautiful it all was.

On a less reflective note...I heard today that once again people are trying to outlaw spanking. How ridiculous will we get?!?! Any sane person knows that there's a difference between discipline and beatings...and I gotta say I think in many cases spankings are almost necessary. I admit, I am relatively new to the whole fatherhood deal--and I have had very little reason to spank Aiden--the kids is barely old enough to deal with it and he's basically the sweetest kid around anyways. However...when you get to be dealing with children that are...going to school...interacting with other frequently...pushing new boundaries constantly...I think its important at times to show that certain transgressions are not just "oops" instances...sometimes there's pain involved. Not because I want to harm my child--but so that he will learn to consider the gravity of his actions. I don't think this is easily impressed on a 6 year old by making them sit for 15 minutes. It sounds a little old-fashioned...but pain is a very effective teacher in most cases. I recognize there will be exceptions--there always are. However...it appears that those exceptions want to start making rules. That's inappropriate. Most kids can learn from a proper spanking (by which I mean, a sound whack to the behind as a result of disobedience and a warning)...its just silly to say that it cripples kids. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Right?

And of course...the parent shouldn't spank out of anger--that's dangerous. Spankings are tools for instruction...which is why its really silly to me that they are viewed as extreme measures. Anyways...that may be me. I was spanked...maybe I'm ill-adjusted and don't realize my problems are making me miss the reality of the dilemma.

Whatever.

No comments: