Thursday, September 15, 2005

Impromptu

I have the privilege and the joy of working with Torrey Theatre this semester as an "Advisor to the Director". Such fun!

Last night I went and led them in a night of impromptu work. Now some might assume that there hardly a need to teach actors how to act without a script--after all, we give them a script to use, not ignore. But, obviously, things don't always go according to plan. In those instances, its better for them to know how to get back on track themselves than have them figure it out in front of the audience.

So we played impromptu games. I haven't acted in...about 10 months. The last thing I did was a short appearance in the Christmas Carol last year (Mr Fezziwig). I couldn't get to sleep last night. I was bouncing off the walls after the practice...I wish I had the time to get involved in an amateur theatre production somewhere. Its inappropriate for me to act with Torrey any longer...they have other people who deserve that experience. But I miss it.

I think that's one thing that amateur theatre offers which professional theatre cannot. When you're acting for your paycheck, its not fun...its a job, and a stressful one at that. Its why I quit the theatre department when I came to college...I didn't want that to be my life. But when its amateur...its for the joy of the thing, not because you have to make rent or eat this month.

I love theatre.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are several community theatre groups in the area. Of the top of my head, there's on in Whittier and one in La Habra. That's the acting outlet I'm planning on when time permits.

James said...

I know how you feel Chris. ;-)