Thursday, April 13, 2006

How Simple It Is

For a couple of years I cared deeply about the discussion on gender. I actually had the folder to a Feminist group on my BUBBS desktop for easy access to the online "discussions" that went on there. I argued better and worse at times.

I have almost zero interest in the discussion any longer. Coincidentally, I now know much more about women, having been married for nearly three years. Which makes me wonder...is the giant gender discussion the result of too many angst filled single people?

I don't mean single people = angst filled. I have plenty of single friends that never understood my zeal towards that discussion. I have plenty of single friends that, though they care, never cared as much as I did about "figuring out" the "answer" to the question of genders and roles. What I am saying is that...I think, at least generally, one could postulate that those that engage in some of the ridiculous arguments that take place concerning the nature of the genders are working out not the larger question of meaning and roles for men and women, but rather the personal issues of relationships. Which supports a theory I had once considered...if most of the adamant militant feminists got married to chauvinists there would be a lot less fighting in the world today.

Sheri and I still talk about the differences between us. We still fight, we still don't always understand the other, and there is still mystery which I don't have answers for. But I have found, all the angst of the gender question dissolved with the arrival of matrimony. How simple it is...we were made for each other and its a beautiful thing to reflect upon.

3 comments:

slowlane said...

I was about to be very offended for a while there, until you clarified that not all single people are angst ridden. I was about to write a moody poem about how dense and insufferable married people are when they make sweeping statements about single people.

Linds said...

I think your post hits on the solution: love. Marital love is not necessarily the only love with the power to solve the issue, but some form of it is the only option. :) Legal and theological obligation does make it easier to solve the problems, however. Or maybe just more pressing.

Anonymous said...

Becca,
I almost mentioned you as one of my prime examples of the healthy single people that make people like me (as I was while single) look fairly pathetic.

Yeah for healthy single people! Yeah for healthy married people! Yeah for healthy people!