Thursday, April 27, 2006

Thoughts on Starbucks


I have been meaning for sometime to give a long post on my experiences and insights concerning Starbucks. Hopefully, you will learn something--either about a potential work place, or at least about the typical coffee house you visit on a regular/semi-regular basis.

Well, today is the day--fortunate are you who get to read all about...the Starbucks.

First, I want to say that I think that of all the jobs I could have gotten working in the food industry, with the amount of experience I had and what not, Starbucks is probably one of the better options around. They're not so demanding as a real upscale restuarant like a Steak House or fine dining like the Summit House. Neither are they the cold, florescent palor of, say, McDonalds. No--they are the happy medium. Nice enough that we are fairly comfortable working, casual enough that, at least at my store, we need not work ourselves to death every minute of every shift. You customers should appreciate it. Potential workers should consider it. It makes a difference!

Speaking of customers, I have long desired to relate some often ignored points of polite protocal. With regards to tipping, specifically. My approach to tipping has changed drastically since working at Starbucks--anyone that waits on my family when we go out, if they pay us even a reasonable amount of attention, will get a tip worth their while. I like to think I always tipped decently, but since working at Starbucks, I have become intimately acquainted with those special little things that make some customers worthy of being banned from the store--something that could be avoided entirely if only they'd TIP. Here are some tipping tips:

Its not necessary to tip if you come in, get a simple drink and leave. Neither is it necessary to tip if you simply sit but don't make a mess, put your chairs back where you found them and generally leave the place looking as good or better than when you came in. In those rare instances, the customer is not making more work for us, so why should he tip? I mean--we'll love you for it, but you needn't feel compelled.

However, tipping should be automatic if you do any of the following...
1. Come in with a large group. These people almost never tip, and they are much more trouble than they are worth.
2. Have a complex drink order that you repeat three or four times. You are making the process slower, you are the reason your drink isn't out in less than sixty seconds. Your barista's are doing their best to serve you--show them the appreciation you should naturally feel by dropping something in the jar.
3. If you sit down and leave a mess, you better have left a tip. This should hardly be worth mentioning...only children expect their messes to be cleaned up for nothing.
4. If you're a regular, tip at least once a week. We usually take the trouble to memorize your order and get it done that much faster and better for you. Where's the love?

Special mention goes out to large church groups that come to have after service coffee--they are terrible. The Korean church down the street from my store has the worst testimony around--everyone in the store hates it when we see them coming.

More special mention for those few regulars that come in late every night, about two minutes before we close. They come every night. They know our hours. I don't mind making the drink for them--I still make it the best I can...but if they're going to do that on a regular basis, and especially when their drink is not only late, but complicated...TIP!

An important note; tips need not be huge. You don't even need to drop a single paper dollar. Empty your change. Fifty cents, Seventy-five cents--these are acceptable and make your barista's happy. And a happy barista is a good barista. Your coffee should always be good, but I know for a fact that if you are nice to us we'll be generous (beyond what you paid for) to you.

Alright, needed to get that off of my chest. As for the drinks themselves (because what post on Starbucks would be complete without a discussion of a few drinks?) let me say that my favorite hot drink is now out of season. When it gets cold once again, make sure to ask for a White Mocha Cinnamon Dolce Latte. The best drink in the house. As far as teas go, though I am not the biggest tea fan Wild Sweet Orange has my vote as the best hot tea on our menu. And, coming soon to a Starbucks near you, we have new flavors for Summer! Though the Banana has apparently made an appearance before, this year we are adding Coconut to the mix. My reccomendation: either order a Strawberry Creme with Banana and Coconut Frappe, which is truly fantastic, or order a Double Chocolate Chip with Coconut Frappe. In both cases you will be sure to enjoy the result. The flavors are great!

So, that's my Starbucks post.

2 comments:

asdf said...

the idea of tipping has taken a little to get used to since in the philippines, we never really tipped... i never know how much to tip, and why i'm even doing it in the first place since the workers are on salary.

anyway... it's taken me a bit to get used to.

Chris said...

Yeah, I think it was the culture we came from. I won't go into details...but my experience at Starbucks re-enforces that guess.