Wednesday, November 08, 2006

LOTR and Grading


I am listening to the soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings as I grade...a million papers...forever and ever and ever and ever...

Its fun, because the music keeps me entertained, focused...and a little inspired. As if, with each pen stroke, I was on some epic journey...

*Music crescendoing in the background*
"Parallel Wording. Parallel Wording!!! For the sake of Gondor and the West, Parallel Wording!!!"

Yes, well. I am going quicker though. So that's good, right?

5 comments:

Elena Johnston said...

What is parallel wording, anyway? And am I supposed to use it, or avoid it?

Chris said...

Linear Thinking. Synthesized arguments. A logical train of thought, utilized by repeating established terms throughout the paper, rather than using all the various terms you can possibly think of. Its a killer.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Leigh/Chris,
Okay, you are not nice. Why are you such a good author??! Why do you have to be such a wonderful tacher??! WHY DO YOU INSPIRE ME ON TOWRDS MILLIONS OF HOURS OF WORK ON MY TERM PAPER? Yeah, the problem with you is your waaay too inspiring and worthy of hard work. This is going to be a looong week. Oy vay.
:)
Mary Kate Reynolds/ Ms. Reynolds

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ms. Reynolds, however, I do have one request: Mr. Leigh, could you please SLAUGHTER my paper?!!! I'm serious, rip it to shreds! Mutilate, mame, cripple, annihilate my paper. Make it dread the day it was written! (Just remember Paper=KEEEEL) In short, please mark up my paper very thoroughly.

Your ODD student,
Mr. Choo

P.S. ODD is a word you use for yourself. WEIRD is reserved for others.

Falk's Creative Outlet said...

Hello! I was designing my speech exam and googled the words "parallel wording" to try and find some examples to use. Your blog came up and I started reading it and feel I have discovered a parallel soul.
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your thoughts and how much I agree with most of it.
Cheers!
Julie