Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Magic Numbers

To say that this Fall has been busy would be a vast understatement.

Its been a refreshing change of pace--the last time I was this pressed for real work was during the last couple of weeks of my B.A., and I began to feel as if I was going to be totally out of practice if and when I finally managed to push on towards Graduate work, in some as-of-yet unspecified field of study (either history or philosophy...but who knows?)

Well, my fears were unfounded. Since the coffee slinging phase of life ended, I have been blessed with plenty of good, old-fashioned student-like work. Reading, reading, reading...the only thing missing is the writing, but I make up for that by leading session. That might as well be working on a paper, since without structure and forethought I will be dismally dull...but with some prep work, sessions are getting progressively better in every class (Funny story--today, I had such a good class that, as I walked out and preparred to jet down the 5 freeway to lead a session in Rancho Santa Margarita, when I got scolded by a site administrator for bringing my Roman Gladius to my class, I didn't even really care. That was a good class!)

Anyways...as I was saying--my fears, they were unfounded. Wow, were they unfounded.

Because, you see, I let a week pass by without grading a paper, as Sheri was out-of-town at a wedding...and boy, was that a mistake.

Now, with about a week and a half left in this Quarter...I have roughly 320 papers to grade.

Heh. Bring 'em on! Fortunately, about half of them are rewrites of papers I have already graded, so getting those graded shouldn't be a real headache. And it is encouraging to see some of the original mistakes corrected, and grades getting better. But even averaging 5 minutes per paper, I am looking at a total of about 1600 minutes of work in front of me, while reading G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy. That works out to be roughly 26 hours and 40 minutes of work. So, really, just half a "regular" week's work. Not that bad, if I can actually grade a paper every 5 minutes.

Piece of cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Leigh? Chris?
Class was indeed wonderful today, progress yay! :D Good luck grading, do you want some sort of food,or something or other for class Friday? I am willing to contribute to the Keep-Chris-alive-fund, :)Thank you for being such an amazing friend, and more often tutor of death, :)you are truely inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I always thought that procrastination would be something of the past when you reach adulthood. Guess I was wrong...But it doesn't matter, I'm just happy to get my papers back. I hope we have a good session tomorrow.