Saturday, June 30, 2007

A Political Zoo, Pt 1

I have been deliberately keeping a neutral (i.e. non-vocal) position on the goings-ons of late in D.C. and around the country. Honestly, the matter of amnesty is a hot topic, and I need a job...and I have been thinking that perhaps the better side of wisdom would suggest that I not share my views with the world on a hot topic, while looking for work.

But my blog isn't that popular.

And anyone that wouldn't hire me for my opinions is probably someone I would rather not work for...my opinions aren't too radical...

So, here it goes; to begin with...I cannot believe the complete imbecilic behavior of the so-called leaders of the Republican party in D.C., the President himself included.

Honestly...I don't understand this. Liberals might laugh at my confusion...you see, I do believe we're at war, and generally I do believe we should have attacked Iraq, and that we are currently doing the only thing we can do given the situation that confronts us. In otherwords, I believe that the Republican leadership, and especially the President, have the nation's welfare in mind with regard to our international policy in the Middle East. In fact, Bush's low poll rating is almost enough to confirm his good intentions--what politician would adopt such a self-destructive stance if he were not convinced that the stance were more important than the political goldmine of popular opinion?

Which is why I am profoundly confused by their enormous inability to deal with a very real, very close threat to national security and the general welfare of the United States, namely the problem of millions of illegal immigrants currently taxing the system supported by legal residents of America, and the essentially unrestricted passage of millions more over our "borders". How can they allow this to stand? How can we not even call for basic enforcement of the laws that exist currently?

These are the questions that plague me as I listen to the "debate"...but above it all, I wonder HOW can Republican leadership, and particularly the PRESIDENT support rewarding lawbreakers with the object of their crime?

I am in awe.

And that sense of awe has only deepened as I have seen these leaders hold to this ridiculous position when the majority of every political demographic thinks this is a bad idea. Politicians aren't even behaving like regular, spineless politicians with regard to this issue. For some reason, this incredibly bad idea is one that the President and the Republican leadership is willing to alienate the little support they still have over.

Insanity.

Fortunately, the people managed to be heard...which is important, especially in a Democratic Republic. Now, I am just in shock that this bad idea was ever a viable option for Republicans, preaching security and Conservative values. We need to gut the leadership and start over...but more on that later.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yeah, my thoughts on this have mostly amounted to dazed stutters of "what the???" I don't get it.