Friday, August 10, 2007

Personal Growth


Roughly 10 years ago I was certain that nothing could convince me that mushrooms were worth eating. They are, after all, literally just fungi. Who eats mold? Don't talk to me about cheese--you all know what I mean. Mushrooms are fungi in its unrefined state. Why eat that?
Well...about three weeks ago we watched Ratatouille, and I became inspired to try new foods. So we went out, and I ordered a pasta with mushrooms.
It was delicious...especially the mushrooms. I enjoyed it so much, I went to the store and purchased some large portobellos for my own cooking experiments. But I haven't gotten around to it, and they've been in the fridge for about a week now. I looked them over, and they seem to be alright, and I'll probably use them today...but the thought occurred to me; how can you tell if a mushroom is bad? Most things grow mold when they go bad...do mushrooms grow mold? Is a fungus covered in fungus unacceptable? What makes that unappetizing, when one is already consuming glorified mold? Ultimately, it makes me question the whole thing...except they were so tasty...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

They get very, very slimy. Not to be confused with the somewhat slimy that they are when they've been in the fridge for a week or so.

And yes, they grow mold.

James said...

I'm glad to see that you've embraced the mushroom, Chris. Mario would be proud.

Unknown said...

Yes!!! A mushroom convert! I should have you talk to my brother... I enjoy your blog.

(Sharon Biggs Harrington's mom)

asdf said...

why eat the reproductive parts of trees? yuck!