Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Since I'm paying my Civic Duty...

Although I was always going to vote, it seems particularly appropriate to discuss voting while serving Jury Duty.

Actually, on a side note, for any of you that avoid voting to avoid Jury Duty...its a myth. The Jury pool is drawn from two sources--the voting lists and the DMV divers license lists. If you drive, your hat is still in the ring for service. Might as well vote, if that was what was keeping you...

Now to that topic with no end of discussion on the web, the primaries.

I will not try to offer my in depth opinions on all things political...as you really can get better opinions from a lot of other places. But I have been wanting to weigh in on different things...its been frustrating having thoughts about what's going on (and even being right on occasion, contrary to polling and political aficionados) and being unable to blog...so I will seize the opportunity.

First, the Republicans;

Thompson: Several months ago I realized that Thompson had failed to do what a late comer needed to do in order to be a serious contender. He joined under the suggestion that he was the best hope for Conservatives and his rally cry was that the true base of the party could finally find their man in him. I was hopeful, and talked with friends about his chances. I held out through the early stages of his late campaign, hoping that the fire-in-the-belly he promised would finally ignite...and it never did. This is old news, but that was where I was in, goodness, about October. I think I officially started looking for a better alternate late October, early November...and discovered my new guy...

Romney: The thing that sealed it for me was his speech on religion and politics. Any man that can be that eloquent about something so important, who can craft a vision of what the nation should be with his words (I am starved for a real communicator in the office), and whose position on something so important as the inseparably linked but still distinct realms of personal beliefs and public politics could hardly be ignored. The more I watched, read, and heard, the more I liked him. I am now convinced he is the eventual candidate for the Republicans...and I hope we can come together as a party once the necessary and healthy process of primaries runs its course. We won't be settling for the best worst candidate...he'll be a good President, if he lives up to his promise.

As to the others...

McCain: I don't trust him, and I don't think that will ever change. Being a war hero does not a good president make.

Huckabee: a good man, I don't like his politics. That oh so important line I mentioned above, which Romney clearly understands, seems blurred if not invisible to Huck. I think he'd be bad for Republicans and bad for America.

Rudy: good public servant...I'd prefer him to McCain, but I echo others in wishing he'd be our nation's top lawyer, not President.

I am hoping we have to go to the Convention...I love the fact that this race is making professional political prognosticators look as uninformed as the rest of us...its a real race and things really change from day to day. If it were another nation, I'd be worried about revolution or martial law...but its America, and so its just really exciting to see the system work.

As for the Dem's...

Edwards deserves the least, so let me say I think he's a ridiculous candidate. He's a sleazeball lawyer and holds policy stances which should embarrass him. He obviously doesn't agree, and thinks he offers change. But honestly, as a Democrat running against a Clinton woman, and a Black man, did anyone ever really think he had a chance?

Clinton: she's a real politician. My favorite week for the Dem's has been the whole New Hampshire mess. In the fallout from Iowa, Clinton was being blasted for not being likable, for being to much like a serious politician. In response to this, the media was soon filled with images of her crying...and it was brilliant. Normally the discussion that we'd be having if a woman was running would center on fears that she would be too emotional, too weak to lead. Hillary is not the normal woman though. She has like-ability liabilities...which we'll talk about instead of real issues. How does she navigate this gender stereo-type minefield? She cries publicly. Whether it was real or not doesn't matter...it was masterful. She gets to appear emotional, but doesn't have to worry about being labeled with the image of feminine frailty, because at this point most people have thought of her as too cold to care. Meanwhile...how many people can watch a woman cry and feel no pity? She also gets to ride the wave of expectation...building on the media frenzy over Obama, she was able to appeal to the voters from a position of needing help. Again, a softer appeal from the strongest Dem candidate. I think she's very much in control of the situation, and if Obama is going to compete he'll need to start offering substance to his followers. Which brings us to...

Obama: the most electric candidate of the race. He's got the press drooling over the very idea of him winning the nomination. He uses positive language. He has no record haunting him...but he also has no record. He has very little to offer people that actually digest the messages the talking heads spew. He could force the Dem's to a convention too...which I think would make this the best political year of the last...30? 40? He is a sexy candidate. He is also a scary potential President. I'd prefer Hillary to Obama, as she's essentially Rudy, only a little more to the Left, and wouldn't cause the damage that electing Rudy as a Republican would to the Conservative cause.

I don't know exactly what Obama would do...since he hasn't offered any insight, but I have serious doubts that he would be committed to our interests in the Middle East...and like it or not, we have interests in the Middle East. Its the most volatile part of the globe...Pakistan's most recent upheaval obviously not helping matters. Our next President cannot cave into the demands of extremists and abandon our position in the Middle East. Our efforts in Iraq must succeed, we must have a foothold in the area, just as in the late 1930's it was vital to maintain a hold in Southeast Asia in the Philippines. Something the last few years should have made clear to us...conventional ground troop warfare hasn't gone out of style. Boots on the ground matter, and the best way to put boots on the ground is to have a base from which to support them. I firmly believe that this is an issue that must be addressed is this next election--but to do it, whoever the next President is must offer a vision of why it is we fight--otherwise s/he will be selling a false hope of an easy fix.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, that's three posts today so far. Guess you haven't gotten called yet. I am jealous. I served 4 years ago. Had to haul down to COMPTON (and we all know how close one courthouse is to you and I.) probably needless to say... no Internet stations at that courthouse. All that to say, I really liked sitting in on a trial. I don't know why people lie so long and wide to get out of it. it's a good conversation piece. And no, I am not a random stalker. Your're in my "Bloglines" feed, and you name happened to "ding" today. Hooray!

Chris said...

Hey there Sarah!

That's really weird. I also served at Compton today. Guess things change over 4 years--I'm so glad it was different!

Luke said...

Well, there is Ron Paul. I don't think he's absurd as people tend to say he is (the media). He's drawing a hard line and sticking to it. A true and honest conservative who really looks to be a massive change. (c: I noticed you didn't include him in your Republican line-up, which is too bad.

Chris said...

I didn't include ROn Paul for two reasons: he's not an actual viable candidate, and I'd never vote for him, even if he did win the Republican nomination.

Ron Paul is an isolationist. His hard line is not only overly simple, its drastically unrealistic, and builds on false hopes. He's not a solution--he's just a distraction from real discussion.

Sarah said...

Excellent analysis in your last comment, Chris. I feel like the biggest slacker when it comes to 08's presidential election. I have next-to NO clue about who I want to vote for. I feel so apathetic about this, like leaving the huge, whole grade project at the end of a semester to the last 2 weeks or something. I know I can easily do all the reading and research of the candidates online that I desire.. yet, I am not doing this.

What I do know: Is that simply because I am a FEMALE, that doesn't make me automatically voting for Hillary. You would be surprised how many people come up to me in my professional circles and just "assume this" for me.


Love on that little boy for me! When it gets warm again, you need to let me steal him away to D-Land again! Say hi to Sheri too! Almost done!