Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Unforseen Gifts

As is readily apparent if you have bothered to visit my miserably starved blog over the past...year?, you are aware of the lack of posting that has been going on here. I believe the tally of posts for all of 2007 was something like 37. 37! The blogosphere would laugh at me...if they knew or cared that my pathetic blog existed, which they might if I ever posted.

Still, I haven't had many choices. I have two jobs, a very busy wife just five months away from finally achieving her nursing degree and a three year old son. More than that...I still have dial-up Internet access. Yes, I know...the United States doesn't condone torture...but we are allowed to do what we like in the privacy of our own homes. Dial-up...and sadistic dial-up at that. Its a miracle I check e-mail at all...most of the time it will connect long enough for me to launch the program of choice and then disconnect once more. Somewhere there's an administrator laughing at my attempts to connect with the Web...but, its free. So, what can you do?

I have probably mentioned all of these things in a sad attempt to excuse my lack of posts, correspondence, etc with the Internet. But today is different.

You see, today...today, I am serving Jury Duty.

I know you're wondering, "How are you on the computer while serving Jury Duty?" Well, the reason is simple and wonderful...I am stuck in a room with nothing to do all day until they figure out if I am going to have to serve or not. And it just so happens, they have computers with Internet access for the duration of our wait. So, I have spent the $12 for full day access and now, though I wouldn't have imagined it, I actually get to blog without a concern in the world...until they call me to serve. Who'd have thunk it?

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Why in the world would you have to serve Jury Duty? As the sole supporter of my family I have easily gotten out of it twice. You have TWO jobs! There's no reason that you should have to serve if you're the one your family depends on for income!

Chris said...

Well, except I think they still essentially say you need to...at least, that's how its been presented to me when talking to the helpdesk people...at least in California.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I am serving my civic duty (which I sort of feel I need too) and I get to blog...not a total loss... :)

Miriam said...

Civic duty is great, and I fully intend to participate when I can, however at this point I know my family can't do without several (+) days of pay (which is why I still go to work when I'm sick). I guess I'm just wondering how you can manage it.

Yay for high-speed internet!

Chris said...

Oh, no--I totally know what you mean. I've had to tell them no once already, and postpone this time. But now its done (I'm back home) and I don't have to do it again until sometime at least a year from now.

Funny story--the guy who was in charge of us told us that we were going to be sequestered for the next 6 days, to be selected for a trail expected to last about 43 days. He waited until someone asked if he was kidding before he started laughing and told us we were being let go. Sick sense of humor...if I had his job, I'd do it every day...