Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Benefits (Seen & Unforseen) of Working at Starbucks

So, I work at Starbucks. I enjoy working at Starbucks, most days. I'm a closer, and closing is in some ways more fun than the rest of the day. Its more work than anything other than opening the Store, and even then, though I've never opened the store I'd say we do a fair share of work because we're prepping the store for the openers. Course, we don't have to wake up early, which is a huge benefit of closing.

Generally I can deal with the customers. Keep smiling and "just say yes" to pretty much everyone. Occasionally there are problem customers--the guys that steal drinks or our tips, the ones that make huge messes in the lobby and DON'T tip, and of course, the customers that consistently come into the store approximately 2 minutes before our official close time and ask for a "Joe to Go", which is a very long process, and specialty drinks when we're trying to shut things down. Technically we're required to serve them...but there's no rule about resenting those that are so inconsiderate that they make a habit of inconveniencing people. 10 minutes before we close, you wanna ask me for an extra hot white mocha with extra caramel, soy, no foam, extra whip with 2 Sweet-N-Low's, that's fine. When everynight you walk in to make your order even as I am clearly dismembering the bar and taking things to be cleaned and order your special drink...that's just kinda rude. More importantly, NEVER tipping when you do this should be grounds for expulsion from the store.

But, I work with good people generally. And I get lots of free stuff--drinks obviously, sandwiches, sometimes fruit plates, etc. But one cool thing is a skill that has been developed in me since working at Starbucks that I hadn't anticipated. My aduio-recall abilities are much sharper today then ever before. I can be standing two feet away making another drink, reading the recipe to make sure I get it right, and as long as the noise coming out of the next customer's mouth can be heard, I don't have to think about what they're saying. I hear it, and process the words he/she said about 30 seconds after they stop talking, so that before the person who is actually taking the order has written everything down I can already start the drink. Its kinda cool. The difference, in case I am not making myself clear, is the difference between hearing and listening. I am not attending to you when I hear you...my ears are merely properly functioning, whilst when I am listening, I am deliberately paying attention to what you're saying. Well, I have found that I can essentially hear you and replay what I heard in my head with nearly 100% accuracy.

I thought it was kinda cool. Work at Starbucks...your hearing will...improve.

No comments: