Friday, March 03, 2006

Consider the Lilies of the Field

We have a great God. Of course, this is not merely demonstrated when the small details of our personal lives are taken care of, but surely seeing His provision for those details must summon us to praise Him.

Our car has had problems...something you may or may not know. The problems were fairly extensive, and though fixable, they were expensive. The mechanic I *randomly* asked to take a look at these problems seemed to be being fair with me when he offered to cover the cost of taxes for the parts and labor, and to give us a 10% discount right from the start of this process, cutting it down from roughly $2600 to $2300. We still needed to consider how best to proceed and asked him to wait a few days. He called me yesterday to tell me that he had done some thinking and talking with his boss, and they had decided to reduce the price even further, to an even $2000. And they would offer us a free rental car for the time that they would need to take care of the repairs. We are doing one or two checks to compare prices (just in case this offer seeming to be to good to be true in fact is) but at this point, from counsel I have sought from others with more experience than myself, I feel fairly confident that this will be the way we go about dealing with this problem.

Its difficult to say exactly how amazing this is from our position...I only share actual numbers in the hope of lending some idea of the full measure of grace that I believe we are experiencing. $2000 is still a large amount for us, but that additional $600 being simply taken care of by the mechanic's shop and provision for transportation so we can continue to work through the repair time is a true blessing. Beyond that, my parents have offered to help us with the cost. They're missionaries, and I had not anticipated them being able to offer much help, but God has provided for us it seems by providing for them and they are insisting on helping.

It is amazing to see the faithful provision that God has already prepared for us--especially in those times when there is no hope of fixing the problem on our own.

No comments: