Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Could you please?

Yes, please, just jam this sharp object up into my eye. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. The blinding pain totally blocks out your voice. I feel much better now.

Well, maybe its not quite that bad...but almost.

Mark Y Mark have struck again. Two Marks, talking online (Bubbs) about a variety of political/social/even theological issues continue to awe me with their lack of compassion and etiquette. One of these was the one that branded me a liberal, and the other is the one that likes to use big arguments to say simple things that are incoherant even when said simply.

I am at my wit's end.

I have to believe that its possible to hold traditional, conservative views without being represented by people that enjoy eating dinner while watching pictures of Zarqawi's corpse on T.V.

Sigh.

On a plus side...the joint attacks of Puck and I continue. Its might almost be a little creepy if it wasn't so much fun and encouraging. We disagree, but not enough that either of us has lost our minds, and when arguing with people like Mark Y Mark we get to appreciate the other's opinions, which in many ways compliment our own. That's a really good thing I think. If we could convince more politicians to try it our country might be a better place.

7 comments:

Linds said...

You know, our political discussions lately have been reminding me of the West Wing episode when they put a strong liberal and a strong conservative on the Court. That's how our system is supposed to work, but it almost never does. And, as long as Mark Y Mark are arguing that glorying in the death of a human created in the image of God and for whom Christ was humiliated and murdered, I think you and I will always have each other's backs on bubbs.

Chris said...

I loved that episode. And you're totally right...I think its great that there are absolutes with which I can entirely trust you and vice versa. The details of political parties etc not withstanding, its reaffirming to know that there are lines which are not crossed by people of integrity.

So let me just come out and say it: Lindsay, your opinions are very valued by me. More so as I continue to grow. Thanks for being a willing and happy voice with which to spar and contemplate the questions that interest us both!

Linds said...

Aw, warm fuzzies! I have a lot of fun debating with you as well. Seriously - what did they put in the water at that debate?

Chris said...

heh. Tell me about it.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with being branded a liberal? But I see you recently said labels like that "means very little after reflection"?

Stan

Chris said...

Yes, those labels are politicized words, which carry little meaning when brandied about carelessly, I think.

Few people that know me would suggest I am a liberal, at least, in the widely accepted use of the word. I am generally recognized as something amounting to "that staunch republican" and I think at different times (depending on my moods) my more liberal friends would have been worried that I was a die-hard Right Winger who cannot take a step back and examine the whole field of play.

Similarly, I have never been told by someone that knows me that I would profit greatly by appreciating history more. Its what I got my B.A. in, its what I feel most things revolve around, and in any discussion with me it usually ends up coming back to the historical significance of something or other.

So its ironic.

I am a Republican. But I have eyes and I am a Christian first...and where my party of choice fails to do the right thing, I'll say so. I am a historian...we can all profit from studying it more...but I am usually one of the first to advocate such a position.

Anonymous said...

Even if you are not a liberal you should not be offended. I think. Most historians are liberal. Makes me think liberals are right.

Stan