Saturday, December 06, 2008

The 5 Films You Need To Watch This Christmas

I'm not a terribly original film connoisseur, but choosing a classic is hardly something to be ashamed of. My list, from bottom to top, for your Christmas viewing is as follows:

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. More for its sentimental value than for the story (although the story itself is also a treasure), this cartoon ranks a spot on my list of Christmas "must sees" because it wouldn't be Christmas if we didn't get to see the Grinch's heart grow three sizes that day.

4. Love Actually. This is the most modern of my selections, and if you are taking my list as a guide, you should be warned: there is foul language and nudity in this love story. However...it paints a vivid picture of the effect that Christmas has on the world, even a world that is not particularly centered on Christ. We love, we risk, we cherish...because that's what you do at Christmas. Great story, fun movie.

3. Jesus of Nazareth. This is not a strictly "Christmas Movie" per se, however it does involve a great section on the birth of Christ. Franco Zeffirelli treats you to a powerful (and long) telling of the life of Christ, from beginning to end. Not to be missed is the story of the Prodigal Son, or the redemption of Mary Magdalene. Find it, set aside a weekend, and reflect on the grace of God and the reason for Christmas.

2. The Christmas Carol. In keeping with my long established disdain for the rules of any game, I will use this opportunity to list three movies as one: my favorites three versions of The Christmas Carol.

The 1951 Alastair Sim "Scrooge" in black and white is a classic, and includes some fantastic scenes of Scrooge at Marley's deathbed which every other version skips over. Scrooge is particularly abusive of his fellow man in this one, which makes his conversion all that much more joyful.

The Muppet Christmas Carol, fun and brilliant. My son can watch it, and I never get tired of hearing the song from the Ghost of Christmas Present, or the jokes from Gonzo and Rizzo.

And finally, the George C Scott Christmas Carol; if pressed, this is my favorite version of the story. George C Scott plays Scrooge as cold, calculating, and untouchable by the world, until prodded from his isolation by the ghosts, culminating in the sheer terror of the Future. His redemption is tender, sincere, and moving. If you haven't seen this version, run to the store and do yourself a favor.

And finally...

1. It's a Wonderful Life. As I say, not terribly original. But I challenge you to yawn as George Bailey struggles against his destiny as a responsible man. If there is a movie we need to think about more in this day and age, I cannot think of it. This movie also lays claim to some of my favorite lines..."The police are way on the other side of town--they'd be on my side too!" "I think I'll go find the girl and have some passionate necking." Ultimately, as a man who is struggling to be good while watching his dreams pass him by, George stands as an example to every man in this age of self indulgence. I aspire to be George Bailey, and Christmas is not Christmas without the reminder of the role of sacrifice in our lives.

No comments: