Sunday, December 21, 2008

Surprised and Pleased

I am, obviously, a political opponent of this man and his party/comrades/agenda.

But bravo for seeing the point of politics, and following a good step from our soon to be leader. America may give up it's heritage as a Christian nation...but I think it is important, as we work against that, that we don't surrender it's heritage as a society of discourse and dialog.

It's not the only thing; it's not even close to being the most important thing...but our nation is a valuable thing, and I hope to see it prosper, not languish. I believe that seeing us come together to discuss the ideas that we value is a much more hopeful and ultimately productive form of unity than some of the alternatives. If this is what happens as a result of this past election cycle, then I will go beyond even my affirmation of the election process and say that it is good that Mr. Obama was elected President. I hope he continues to work towards discourse in the public square, and to draw us away from the phantoms we believe the other side to be, and to face the realities of our political opponents.

Conservatives: it is, I think, possible to live with in harmony with those we disagree with politically and not abandon the heritage and legacy of our faith.

Liberals: fighting for morality in government doesn't mean that we are trying to make the government part of the church.

No comments: