Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Assassination

This leaves me divided in my response.

On one hand...Pat Robinson has said some really stupid things in the past...so even if he has a point, perhaps he should be quiet.

On the otherhand...he's actually right (I think). Surely I have heard, even from the Left , that when the problem seems to revolve around one man, one evil dictator, why not take him out instead of going to war? Surely this question has been asked with regards to Saddam. And we all know that it was an accepted premise that anyone with a shot at Hitler would have taken it. So I am a little curious as to why there has been such a stink over this issue.

Is it the Christian problem, or is there a problem with Assassination in general? The government suggests that we just won't deal in that kind of trade. I don't entirely accept this, but it makes a little more sense than that a Christian needs to oppose such actions. There is a difference between hoping that the government established for the protection of the people will aggressively protect us and act with justice and personally carrying out the killing of evil people. Pat Robinson hasn't crossed that line with this statement...he's expressed a desire to see a bad man removed from power--and usually the only way to effectively do that is through force.

So I am not really sure what the problem is...and my conclusion is that the Left is just starved for issues to whine about. That's ok, I guess...pretty foolish and really getting old, but within their rights to do.

No comments: