Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Hawaii or Virginia?

Having lived in both, the question was posed to me...where would you rather live: Hawaii or Virginia?

Of course, the question assumes that the means to do so are not a problem--since Hawaii is considerably more expensive than Virginia.

Some might think this is an easy question to answer. Who wouldn't chose paradise? But then I'd suggest that paradise is great to visit...but an island can be claustrophobic to live on. Plus, there are seasons in Virginia...and the great city of Washington D.C. in the north of the state. And D.C. is one of my favorites places in all the world. And then there's all that history literally all over the place in Virginia. Still...being able to go swimming and surfing literally all year long (without a stupid wetsuit) does sound ideal...fortunately both Virginia and Hawaii get a lot of rain (which I love)...but in the end, I think I would chose to live in Virginia, and have a vacation home in Hawaii.

Since money is no object, of course.

What would you do? If not Virginia, then what else compares to paradise for you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last year I missed fall and winter in Virginia for the first time. I really regretted it.

Here's the view I had out my dorm window here at Tech a month or so ago:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/pdwright/fall.jpg