Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wow.

Lots of stuff happening and I have been gone for a while. Ok...first, the updates...

I am currently putting together a couple of syllabi for some history classes I will be teaching. As I write them, I am shocked by how harsh they sound. Actually, in all fairness I need to say, I took the example that they passed around (having never written a syllabus myself) and editted it appropriately for a history class, changing some things here and there to meet with the actual design and function that I had in mind for my class. The overall tone was set by someone who has already taught classes and did well there as well as when she was an actual student. Maybe that's why I think its harsh--I'm guessing she wrote a syllabus based on what she knew she would expect of herself and from her experience teaching...and she was a much better student than I ever have been, and I haven't really formally taught anyone anything. I;m sure I'll be glad of the firmness inherant in her overall design, which is why I kept it...I was just shocked at how quickly I went from being annoyed with teachers like this to becoming a teacher like this. Though...again, I was more frustrated with teachers that had open-ended syllabi than the teachers that told you firmly and bluntly what they expected. So this is probably a really good thing.

Right now I am in the middle of the end of my two weeks off between the Academy and other stuff. Sunday I leave for San Diego for a week, where I will be working with the "Royal Family Kids Camp" for a week as a relief counsellor. Basically its a camp for foster kids and is an opportunity to show them some Chrisitan love without any strings attached. There's no altar calls, no follow up stuff or anything like that--its one week, unconditional love. We don't exchange information or anything like that afterwards, because the idea behind the camp isn't supposed to be that they make us their new friends or family...but its hoping to show these kids that they are important too. I have never done anything like this...I worked with AWANA's in the Philippines with the kids from the Depressed areas, but they had families--families are really big in the Philippines. So this will be something new.

I am praying that God will lead and help me to be what I am needed to be during this week. The wierd thing about doing something like this is that you know that the idea behind this camp is a good thing...and because of that I think its easy to struggle with two extremes...feeling too good about yourself, and so completely missing the point of making the week about someone who doesn't often feel good about themselves...or reacting to that and feeling a self-effacing guilty humilty. I think both are bad...both prevent you from actually helping anyone because you're too focused on yourself. It reminds me of the Screwtape letters--what the demon wrote about the nature of prayer, humilty, pride, etc. So...if you do pray for me, pray that I would be what I should be, and just that...and that I would rejoice in being that and only that.

After next week, I start working on a regular basis. Teaching US and World history at the Gorman Learning Center on Thursdays, and when I'm not doing Substituting work in public schools I'll be working on mailing letters for a loan consolidation company. Some of that is exciting...some of it sounds boring but pays. I'll leave you to figure out which.

Oh, and Aiden is even now at the doctor's office getting shots. They measured him and weighed him...apparently the boy that was so big is no longer so big (though he still seems big to me). They are estimating he'll peak at about 5'8". Doomed to a life of average height. But, at least he'll most likely not grow up and be able to tease his old man about being short...since he'll be seeing me eye to eye (literally) when he's done growing. Its ok though...5'8" puts him at a perfect height to be a very good wrestler. And he's certainly strong enough--all I need to do is help him with his speed and he'll be unstopable. I love that kid.

I'll talk about Bush and ID in my next post. This was just a brief update. Feel updated? Good.

No comments: