Monday, September 15, 2008

Reasons I Love My Job

1. The Students.

My students are bright, pleasant, cheerful, and open to learning. They have hope for a good tomorrow...and by spending time in the class with them, I am inspired to be a better person myself. My experience with teach has been, for some time now, a sanctifying one. I frequently fail...but to do the job well, as I look at my students, I know that I have more work to do...and I want to make a real go of it.

2. The Administration...seriously. I don't believe they even know I have a blog...but that is neither here nor there. This isn't about brownie points...its a very real acknowledgement. I have been blessed, throughout most of my time teaching, with excellent administrators. Sometimes I failed them...sometimes their bosses forced them to fail me. At Trinity...well, my bosses (from the very top on down too!) have the vision. They want education to expand the souls of the students...not merely equip them to pass tests and get jobs, based on the ridiculous suggestion that people with larger souls are more desireable people as a whole. They support the teachers in a way that separates them from many, many schools (I know this from stories from other teachers...) It is a blessing, and its one I thank God for regularly.

3. The opportunity to grow in this school. To some extent, the ceiling is set by my own ambition. Nearly every suggestion I have made regarding class content, class events, class structure, etc has been met with one basic question; how does it further the purpose of the class? If it is reasonable and if I can show how it supports the mission of the class...I get the green light. I am amazed by this approach towards growing the school...and excited by what that means in the years to come.

No comments: