Friday, May 12, 2006

Argh!

Interviews!!!

Trick Questions!!!

Waiting for the Call-back!!!

Feeling Sick and Hating Your Stupid Mind Which Bungles Trick Questions!!!

All this and more can be yours should you find yourself in my current position; namely, that of looking for a newer, fuller, sleeker job title (and the company that accompanies such a title).

Yes, well, it couldn't be avoided. I'm not actually dumb. Join me, won't you, as I sing; "I am smart. I am smart. S-M-R-A-T, S-M-R-A-T, S-M-R-doh!"

SO I turned in another application to ECCU. I really want to work for them. It would, so far as I can see, be the answer to prayer I have been looking for. Well, they hadn't called me back in response to my first application, so I wrote my friend that works there, Cynthe Macomber, and asked her advice. They had already filled that position, so she said I should give them a call and ask them to review my application. I filed a new one for another opening, and called them today. I had to get a call back, and the representative that called me back conducted a call screening right then and there.

Well, I was happy about that. The school I applied to teach at is getting ready to offer me a contract for next year, and though I'd love to work there, I need more money. So I have been asking that God move my application process quickly through any red-tape to allow me to know what I should do. So I am glad I got results.

Mostly, I think it went well. I think I talked easily with the rep. while not talking too much. Unfortunately, they asked that favorite application trick question: what areas do you think you need improvement in? Well, when that appears on a written application, you can take time to think about it. Obviously nobody says "I hate work" or "I can have a problem with all forms of authority" or "I don't know how to add" or "I can't stand waking up before noon"...even if those were true, nobody says those sorts of things--who wants to hire someone like that? Oh no--the answer to the trick question is usually answered with ridiculous self-deprication; "I work too hard" or "I need to learn that other people like to work too" or "I should go home before the security guard locks the doors" or "I probably should learn not to come so early that I keep scarying the receptionist" or "I just care too much about everything I do that I don't have anything left for 'me' and 'I' need time too". Stuff like that.

Well, when its asked point blank and you have 5 seconds to ready your response, it can be a sticky question. Finding the diplomatic answer is not always easy--sometimes I can roll one out with no prep time...but Aiden was being quite needy during this particular phone call, so I wasn't at my impromptu best...so I said that I like making sure that the jobs I do are done well, and sometimes that means I fail to properly organize my priorities. As an example, I referenced work at Starbucks, where, in the midst of handling 5-6 tasks during a rush, I might at times be distracted by the added task of cleaning as we go and have to work a little harder to catch the things I momentarily neglected while taking care of what might be considered a lesser priority. Sigh.

Now, I think I am actually a fairly good multi-tasker. I have had long experience at procrastinating, which serves as great practice in that area, and Starbucks is also a great place to practice your multi-tasking abilities. I think, in general, I am really good at it. But what did I chose to critique myself on? Was it my overwhelming desire to do too much excellent work (darn my incredible work ethic!)? NO! It was an area that I am actually fairly pleased with myself in. I was, if anything, too honest for my own good! I was a harsh critic during my own interview--the WORST time to start introspectively reflecting on REAL areas that might need SLIGHT tweaking. Sigh.

To make matters worse, as my interviewer was finishing up, he explained that the position I was applying for (handling Debit/Credit Cards) often involved a lot of multi-tasking, and that I should be aware of that possible challenge in my admitted area of need. ARGH!

I didn't know how to tell him that I wasn't really worried about my growth in this area--that I was being harsh to myself, that I could probably grow in other areas less directly related to the job I wanted. So I started praying that my stupid honesty wouldn't come back to stab me in the back.

I'm a good multi-tasker--I am playing with Aiden in the midst of writing this stinking post!

ARGH!!!

ARGH!!!

ARGH!!!

Oh well. He said he would give me a call at the latest by next Friday. Your prayers are coveted as they always are...even a little more for this particular situation, as a little more grace might be needed to help him see me in the best light. I really want this job, and I wouldn't lie to get it regardless...but there are long observed social, diplomatic avenues for being honest with your interviewer without shooting yourself in the foot in front of him. Sigh.

3 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh, I HATE that question!!! I'm so sorry you had to answer it off the cuff! I'll be praying that he hires you anyway. :)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

P.S. That was the funniest post I've read in awhile, btw. ;)

Chris said...

Thanks! I had to put it down somewhere, and enjoying the irony of the situation made it a little less depressing. At least I know for sure he'll be calling me back.