Sunday, May 28, 2006

The science and theology of Dieting

As I mentioned in a previous post, health has become a central issue of concern in our lives.

For a long time we went the strict route. Exercise and zero carbs, zero sugars, zero anything. Meat & veggies. Normally that stage lasts only two weeks...we stretched it out for six. It had results in how we felt and what we looked like and what we weighed. We were encouraged.

We decided that that is not "real life" though, and so we've begun to integrate regular foods into the diet again, via Weight Watchers points method. We've held steady so far, neither progressing or regressing. We're going to give it another week to see how it goes...this week involved certain events that negated our efforts to go to the next step. Eating a scone or sharing a meal with friends can sabotage a diet like nothing else!

This is where the science comes in. For a person my size, I have 24 "points" of food available to me a day, to keep losing weight. There are things you can do to increase that number--exercise, and you get a few extra points. And every week you get a certain amount of flex points to allow for indulgences along the way. But generally, you wanna keep it at your mark or below. Well, today I was looking through the "eating out" guide to figure out what we are looking at when we go out to eat. Its shocking, and a little disturbing when I think about how I was eating before I started to diet.

A piece of cheese pizza at Papa John's is about 1/3 of my entire daily allowance of points. At Pizza Hut, its a little less--only 6 points per slice of cheese pizza. Previously, I would easily down between 3-4 pieces without thinking about it. An order of large fries is half the daily allowance. A steak from Sizzler is 17 points. A Cispy Cream Donut is 5 points.

Its frightening to think that, at certain times, I could eat what amounts to two or three times my alloted portions without flinching. Now I regularly top out at around 22-24 points. It feels good to see progress...but its frustrating to realize just how easily I sabotaged myself for so long.

And now comes the theology. Throughout all of this I have found an odd thing to be true. My motivation is not my own vanity. Its not a desire to look good. Its not a desire to make myself safe through health. Its not even the far flung hope of someday rising to my old healthy status in order to overcome a personal Everest.

What motivates me (to my complete surprise) is a lesson from Screwtape...that my self-discipline in the merely physical things has a profound affect on my spiritual discipline. The santification of my soul makes me say no to the desires of my stomach. When I think about cheating (and nobody would know) I think about Sheri. Would I leave her? I think about Aiden...will I willingly fail him? My Lord...would I deny Him when its convenient?

I don't write this because I think I am "cool" for finding this to be proper motivation. I am honestly surprised that I have been so profoundly impacted by this lesson. In all honesty, I have tried to fast before, claiming other motivations, but in reality hoping for a quick fix to a weight problem. But now...weight seems (admittedly not always, but more often than ever before) to be merely a side issue...and the question of whether I can master my appetites is the real issue on the table, so to speak.

SO we press onwards. We say "No" when we would enjoy something, because pleasure is not everything its cracked up to be. We make ourselves work out and run, even when it hurts. My joints ache in a way they haven't since I was in the ROTC. Fortunately, my shins remain intact and healthy as far as I can tell. My knees and my shoulder, old injuries dating back to the mats of the wrestling room, are a different story.

But with this *new* reason pushing us forward, I am not discouraged when these difficulties arise. I take my time and keep working. It is, in an odd way, a work of praise and devotion to God. Seeing it in that light, whatever I can or cannot do is enabled by Him and so I can merely do what I am able to do.

No comments: