Monday, May 22, 2006

Cool Breath to the Brain

I sat in for 8 hours of the Al Geier Metathon this past weekend.

It was wonderful.

I don't know what else to say...if I start exponding on my thought on Aristotle's Physics and Metaphysics, I think I accomplish two things...I lose my audience and I expose just how little I understand it at all.

But, as my weekly intellectual stimulation of late rarely goes beyond talking about the Christian life in the context of here and now...it was refreshing to specifically address the larger questions of man as a whole, in relation to everything else...and nature, motion, place, essence, form, matter, substance, etc. Such a great 8 hours!

It took me a decent hour before I was getting close to being able to read the passage once and register meaning in my brain. Its muscle folks! Stop using it, and wow does it lose its shape and tone! I haven't abandoned the life of the mind...but I am not in academia any longer and it shows.

Its good that it does though...I would hate to discover that I was the same after not exercising for a year as I was when I was working everyday with these problems. That would say more about my status during the work time than my status during hiatus.

Hmmm. Well, it just means one thing. I need to examine our lives and figure out a way to fit more of this type of thing into it. You cannot feel that alive and not try to adapt your life to accomidate whatever is required to feel like that on a regular basis.

I know I'm sounding silly. What can I say? I miss the dialogue. I take in all sorts of media...I digest into myself plenty of messages, deeper and shallower at times. But the dialogue is missing. Sheri and I carry on as best we can (and she is my saving grace) but we both miss the opportunity to talk with others. Our lives aren't very accomidating to that need. Something to remedy...

No comments: