Friday, May 05, 2006

Can I Be a Witness

I have had the opportunity to work in the real world. No longer surrounded by only Christians, working at Starbucks is the most secular environment I have been in since I was in ROTC. As such, its making me reconsider some things.

For the most part, I get along just fine with my co-workers. Actually, they like me but leave me alone. And I don't think its just because they don't "know" me...its because they know I am a Christian...and have recently discovered I am a Republican. The combination baffles them I think, or at least, they are not eager to share their jokes and what not with me.

But we do talk. Not incessantly, or even always casually. I talk about social issues with them. We discuss politics (sometimes I bring it up, sometimes they do), and twice I've talked about my faith with two of them (they brought it up). I have recently begun to wonder if I am doing what I should be doing with my opportunities though.

For example, our milkman walked into the store the other day and saw me reading a book on my 10 minute break. He started talking with me about the kinds of books I read and that led to a discussion about life and eternity. Before I really knew what was happening, he was asking me if I was a Christian and if I had been baptised. He told me he had grown up catholic but had left that church because it was a bunch of perverts. Now he went to a Baptist church (I think) but he said that every week for Mormon ladies would come into his home and talk to him about the Book of Mormon. He asked me what I thought about that, and what I thought about what comes after death. I told him that I believed that the Bible tells us what happens after death--that if we believe that Jesus was the Christ and came to earth to die for us, and if we believe that He died and rose again, and if we recognize we're sinners and that He had paid the price for us and if we ask for forgiveness we can be saved. I told him that at that point, our responsibility is to live as the Bible tells us to live. And I said that that was the reason why I didn't believe the Mormons--because while the Bible was the word of God, the Book of Mormon was written by a man--just like Islam was founded by a man. And I told him that religions founded by men have problems. He agreed and said that there were some crazy and amazing things in the Book of Mormon. At this point, my 10 minute break had stretched into 15-20 minutes, and I needed to get back to work.

Now, about a week later, I am still wondering if I said what I should have said. I am wondering if I heard the words God would have had me say, or if I was reckless with my witness. More importantly, I am wondering if I should bring this up again and again when I see him. Talking to him on other occasions, I know that he enjoys some things that are not in any way good...so I wonder what I should do.

This is the question I have for all my co-workers. I admit, I have not lifted them up in prayer for their souls. Several of them use weed, one of them strips for money as a second job. I am not saying they're awful people...I like working with them and think I have a good group of people to work with...they are simply lost. Lost and I wonder if the Light that I know shines through me to them at all.

I get frustrated by certain customers (as do we all...), my language is not always what I would like it to be (it rubs off...same problem with the ROTC), and I talk more about politics than my faith. Am I failing my Lord? A message from church keeps coming to my mind, where the speaker challenged us to consider what the world would be like if Christians introduced themselves as Paul did in his letters to the church--always and only recognizing himself as a servant of the Christ, Jesus the Lamb of God. I wonder if I am too meek--am I too comfortable as I work with them to risk telling them who I am? A Christian. I wonder what that would look like...challenging them in love to consider their lives? Asking them why they do what they do and asking them if they fill joy as a result? Is that too judgemental? What should I ask them? Or should I just relate everything back to my faith...when they ask a question, should I answer them in light of gospel and say so?

Lord my words fail me. I am not the man for you I long to be. Let me stand as my father and mother have stood, proudly proclaiming Your name in this world with love for those they would bring to You.

I was listening to Chris Rice's song "The Power of the Moment" last night while working on a deep clean shift. He sings about the power of living for Christ in the moment instead of living vainly looking to tomorrow, considering making a mark in history. That is what I want. I want to abandon tomorrow while today is still here.

3 comments:

James said...

This is something I've a lot about for the past two years. I think the answer differs slightly for each person depending on the unique gifts God has given them, the place they are at in their walk, and the place where God has put them. My best advice is to live authenticly. Don't force Christianity into an issue. Let it come. Let people get to know and like you and they find out you're a Christian when they do. Don't try and hide it from them, and don't ignore that firm voice of the spirit when it prompts you, but don't feel like you have to force the issue either. I have found that some people treat me differently when they find out I'm a Christian, but most come around. You also then become the "go to" person in matters of faith and Christianity, so that'll do a lot of your work for you. The best thing you can do is to stay in prayer and keep focused on trying to present yourself to God to use as He sees fit. Those are just some scattered thoughts. I could write pages! God bless you in your work Chris.

Linds said...

What Jim said. It sounds like you're aware of things that might stand in the way of your witness, and that awareness can blossom into change pretty easily.

And Chris: you're working in a Starbucks in the LA area. Of course it's the fact that you're a republican that makes them wary. :)

Chris said...

Thanks Friends.

And Lindsay,you're right. Its as if the thought that there might be Republicans outside of "the South" is a truly novel and rather disturbing thing. That's one reason to really love L.A. and San Francisco (and New York actually)--shock value. Either as a Republican or a Christian Democrat...those are things most people in these cities consider nearly forgeign.