Monday, May 09, 2005

Civil Religion and America

You should read
this article...I don't agree with everything he says--but at least it suggests that there is someone on the left who recognizes what a bad plan Hillary running would be.

Alrighty...the idea of civil religion is that there are symbols, certain types of speech, etc, which make up a "civil religion" in which all the citizens of a nation believe in--not to be confused with actual faith. Like the flag, or national prayer days. The problem with the theory behind civil religion (a term actually punctuated by the French enlightenment philosopher Roussaeu but elaborated upon for yours truly by Dr.s Richard Pierard and Robert Linder) is that it falls into one of two assuming, over-simplifications; either it lumps all of the actions of our nation into faith inspired/manipulated crusades (think, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Spanish-American war, even the World Wars and Cold Wars) or it suggests that the masses of the nation are blindly devoted to symbols and religious speech which are dangled in front of them by deceiving politicians who know just how big a farce their personal religion is. Also, according to the good doctors, the only really religious (read Evangelical Christian) Presidents were as a result of their real faith, failures.

Here's my problem: this assumes that there is no legitimate faith in the heart of the nation. Whereas...Eisenhower...Reagan...McKinley...Lincoln...and even our current leader Mr Bush all state plainly a firm belief that there is an unshakeable connection to the freedom and prosperity that America (and a free nation) enjoys, and the foundation of religious (read Judeo-Christian faith) at its heart. Now...yes, Judeo-Christianity leaves a fairly large playing field open...but its definately starting on the right track. I agree with Ike--cause I like Ike--our freedoms, our liberty, our values that define us from our enemies (whether terrorist or communist) are rooted in something very deep--something beyond simple rhetoric, something beyond delusions of divine providence. And what I see happening (I say "I" loosely, as I am fully aware that this is not "my" thought--several, much more qualified men and women have said this already) in today's culture is quickly dividing into one of two groups...and the last time we saw a conflict of this magnitude looming before us, with irreconcilable sides demanding the full capitulation of the other, was arguably in 1860 (possibly in 1925, with the Scopes trial and the ending of the age of the Fundamentalists...but I think that was less of a war and more a blind-siding of Christianity by the ACLU).

My belief is that we are headed towards all out war...where the ridiculous suggestions of atheists in Berkeley and San Francisco for the editting of the pledge will find root elsewhere...or, failing that, the blue edges of the country will take the statements of men like Harry Reid and realize that being out of touch with the rest of the country they need to use the power of population in the few states they control to push through changes in the nation.

The interesting thing about this country in that we are a nation of laws which are upheld primarily by the submission of the people to the rule of law. In otherwords--our laws work primarily because we say that our laws work. One of my profs was telling the story of riots that took place in Oklahoma in the late 1920's. martial law was declared, over one city after another, by the state governor in response to the brutal killing of a black man by racists in one small city. Whenever criticism came from another city, the governor closed that city down--till the whole state was locked down. By law, however, the citizens of the state that made up the national guard, couldn't do anything other then enforce the commands of their commander-in-chief, the governor. However, also by law the governor could be impeached by the state council...which is exactly what happened. The state council called a secret meeting and empeached the governor. They announced that he had been impeached, and the period of martial law instantly ended. I could not help but laugh when I heard that story--because it only illustrates just how devoted the American mind is to the ideas of law and justice.

However...given enough provocation...people will break almost any ties that binds. Its happened before...as a historian I am certain it will happen again--and my predicition is it will revolve around the battle of ideas--secular, anti-religionists versus the religious right...and one of these two sides will be irresversibly put down, just as the South was put down into ruin after the war. My sad guess is that it will be the religious right...partly because though I would hope to be successful in our fight, it seems evident to me that God's people will ultimately fail in this world until He returns.

Not exactly a cheery outlook for the day I suppose...I still get excited talking about it though. Growing up I read about the great struggles that had taken place before I was born and wished I could have partaken in the burden. Well, for better or worse I believe that I am living within sight of the next great struggle in our nation--even as the next great struggles of our nation is even now being waged in the Middle East.

And I find that exciting.

1 comment:

Shavonne said...

Hillary will run for President and things will get really ugly because of it. Is there a Republican candidate the could compete with Hillary? I've heard Condie is the likely choice. But of course, this is just a rumor.

I honestly think if Hillary ran for President, she'd have to fear for her life. Someone would kill her before they see her in the White House. I see the same fate for Condi. I don't think America is ready for woman president.