Thursday, May 05, 2005

Linking Blogs

Not really sure the proper etiquette when it comes to linking other people. On the one hand...if they're in a public domain, and they haven't selected privacy options, then I'm not exactly trespassing on anyone's thoughts, right? On the other hand...there does seem to be some protocol to linking someone else. Thus far I have linked others that I know without really asking because they have made their links public in other forums. But now I'm reading other blogs, and when I find interesting ones I want to link them--if only for easy access for me. Is there anything wrong with that? Do these strangers deserve a request before I link them? Or does the public nature of the blog pre-empt any concerns about personal privacy? Your insight is appreciated.

On a completely different note...I have a steaming hot mug of Irish Cream/Hazelnut coffee right now...and its making this morning sooooo much better. I know I'm a wimp when it comes to coffee--or as my Dad calls my beverage, a "flavored drink"...but honestly, without the flavors I don't see the appeal. It used to be the same when it came to alcohol--thoughI think I have gotten better (in the very limited instances when I have partaken in between semesters, of course) at appreciating flavors in wine. A wine tasting helps with that--the one in Disneyland is good fun. Go on a coaster after spending half an hour tasting wine! :)

4 comments:

slowlane said...

To my understanding, you can link away. The problem comes in if a) you quote someone without giving them credit b) if you quote a significant portion of their writing on your blog (even giving them credit). This last one is the one I think people have more of a problem with because the idea is "I'm just giving them more exposure" but sometimes "giving them more exposure" decreases the value of their writing... in other words the authors are cheated out of money to buy their morning cup of coffee.

Helen and Naomi said...

You asked in my guest book if you could link to my site - of course! I agree with slowlane - it's public anyway. I'm honoured that you think my site is worth linking to, and impressed by your quotation from Aeschylus at the top of your page (except I can't for the life of me think where it comes from!). Keep blogging!

Chris said...

thanks!

Anonymous said...

I agree with slowlane also. People have an option to make their blogs private with passwords and such, but if they've made it public, I believe it's pretty much free game. Actually I think most people in general appreciate the added traffic. But always give credit where credit is due, but I know you know that.