Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Family Shtuff

One of the reasons I gave out this address was to enable me to give updates on a larger, more easily accessible scale. So...here's our update: We're fine. :) Very tired, overworked, underpaid, and I feel as if I will explode if school doesn't end soon--but not too soon, as I still have far too much work to do (and for some reason, having started blogging I can't seem to stop).

Sheri is amazing. She has fought through the problems that come with the complete reordering of life that Aiden brought, and has been taking real steps to avoid the all to easy role of house-wife that does nothing all day. Its really easy to fall into that--especially when her husband is frequently away for hours at school. But she has really made changes and I think that we are going to be moving closer to a thriving life then towards a barely surviving life. I'm very proud of her...and even inspired by her to work harder because she's doing so much that I can't let her down by taking it easy on my end. And, most exciting of all, she wants to go on a date with me! :) I know it sounds wierd...but we don't get to see a ton of each other, and almost never get to go on an official date--partly because we weren't ready to have Aiden babysat for a couple of hours. But two days ago my wife informed me that she was ready to leave him with someone else and wanted a date. That's always nice to hear--so, now I have to figure out an ecconomic option for a meaningful, memorable, fun date. :)

Aiden is...words really cannot describe. He's easily one of the brightest spots in my life at present. No matter what is going on, coming home to him and his enormous grin makes my heart light. He laughs, cackles, and as of last week, squeeks in a very high pitched tone that makes me laugh almost every time I hear him. Last week something changed in him--he went from mostly disinterested in moving on his own and fairly nondescript noises to pulling himself upright, sitting by himself, reaching out and grabbing things that he sees and wants and pulling them back to his mouth (and as long as we're there to make sure its safe that's a good thing!) and rolling over all the time. He's amazing. Also, his communication is becoming quite pointed...perhaps you have to be the parent to appreciate it, but before he made noises with little or no real intent it seemed...this past week, he has begun looking directly at us and is making pointed baby-talk at us, as if trying to tell us whatever he was thinking about. Its classic.

And me...I am doing ok. I work a job in the library at Biola which I am thankful to have--even if it is boring. My boss, Chuck Koontz, is a great guy. And I get to listen to all the music/books on CD that I can find (I've been enjoying C.S. Lewis primarily, from the Screwtape Letters to the Great Divorce, and tomorrow I'll start in on the Four Loves). So that's the good part. I am worried about getting a full time job...I cannot express how badly I want that teaching position at Valley Christian High School in Cerritos--but there's nothing I can do at this point except pray and start looking for other opportunities. The sad thing is...it took me a long time to finally know exactly what it is I want to do right now...and it took about as long to find an opportunity that would allow me to do it...and now I don't know if this seemingly perfect job is available, and all I can do is wait and hope. I take comfort in the thought that God would not have moved this desire in me if it was all for nothing--not that that means I'll get what I presently want...but at least I AM moving in some kind of a direction. I've got a lot of school work between me and grad...I know how to do it all, and none of its really hard--just time consuming and when its not interesting I tend to want to avoid it. But I am telling myself that to enjoy the break I need to work hard to finsih well, and this summer I get to teach at the Academy for three weeks in a row and that is something to look forward to. All in all--things are good, if a little stressful. In all things I am learning to put trust in God first, and wait on His timing while doing my best to live well as I wait for Him to move. Or at least, I'm trying.

And in the meantime...only during periods of time while I am at school...in between work and projects...I am blogging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where are those pictures of Aiden you promised us?

Chris said...

working on it...I actually don't know how to get them on here for some reason...