Friday, May 20, 2005

Personal Reflection pt 2.
What follows is more introspection...I figured a break from the standard political/Star Wars fanboy commentary would be a little refreshing. No need to read, no need to not.

Today was my last official class as an undergrad. I still have some work to turn in, still have two exams to finish up next week. But no more classes. 17 years of schooling. I'll walk a week from tomorrow and receive my diploma. In an interesting way, the end of this semester has only made me want more. Not right away (couldn't even if I wanted too) but I do want more in the future.

I remember when I graduated from Faith Academy. I had a very good high school experience--I didn't care about academics, and that freed me up to enjoy other things. I was the first person from Faith Academy to attend the Far East Wrestling tournies all four years. I participated in more plays than anyone in Faith's history either. I enjoyed four years of choir, and my senior year I took it easy, lifting weights, taking photo, drama, pottery and AP English. It was a good time, and when it ended I was scared to death. I didn't even realize it though...instead I basically couldn't eat for nearly the entire first semester in College (sadly...that changed...) I was so at home at Faith Academy that I wasn't ready for what came next--my confidence did not extend to the possibilities that lay ahead--I, in unspoken desires, longed instead for the safety that I had already grown accumstomed too.

Then I came to Biola. I chose the school, when I was in 7th grade and wanted to learn more about music. My interests changed but my choice in school did not. My family would not be near me--they spent my first year of college on home ministry, but by definition were going home and home was on the East Coast. I was here alone...and I was here for a few reasons; one of them the beautiful lady that I was convinced should be my wife; another (though it came up later) was a program that offered education in a way that made the life of the mind worthwhile. I remember really having no idea what to do--just knowing that college was the "next step" and this was where I wanted to be. Expensive? Yes. Life-changing? Unquestionably.

Now, I'm married to that same wonderful woman, we have a son...and we're thousands of dollars in debt :) and now that its taken me a few years to finally figure out what I am here for...I am getting ready to leave. Happily, I feel much less of the fear that I was unable to even articulate at the end of high school. I'm still not entirely sure which direction we're going to be headed--and we're definately not without our share of concerns. But the confidence that I lost so completely five years ago feels as if it is finally returning, at least in some measure.

Last year I sat in on the Senior Dinner, as I was running some of the techincal aspects of the evening. They were the class I was supposed to graduate with (but changing your major going into your Junior year will have the affect of delaying graduation). I was not in my element. Out of place. Lost. Lagging behind in a race that ends when you die...or so it seemed. A year has passed and things have changed. Tonight I am going to my own Senior Dinner. Its a good feeling. It is an accomplishment...its not the end--nor do I want it to be--but it feels as if it is good to celebrate. There is hope in the future--and though the constant cycle of change can be exhausting at times, this is a change that I welcome gladly.

3 comments:

Linds said...

Congrats, Chris! Have fun at Senior Dinner... hope you don't have a streaker like we did. :)

And about being thousands of dollars in debt: glad to have you with us! We're a merry company of debtors!

Anonymous said...

that time of year again, eh...i remember when you graduated from faith.

that was a good post, but it's the content of your website as a whole that gives me this sad, disturbed little feeling inside. i suppose i should be used to it by now, but it still strikes me oddly, every time, when people who are intelligent and who have seen so much of the world (a category which includes many faith students) remain this narrow. i can't help but offer what i hope is not becoming a clichéd statement, because i believe it still holds powerful relevance and is one which all Christians should be careful to keep in mind:

God is not a Republican or a Democrat.

Chris said...

God is not a Republican or a Democrat

No, He's not. Being so far above the small mindedness of partisan politics, its ridiculous to label Him as one or the other. I, on the otherhand, am a Republican--for exactly the reason that I perceive the vast majority of Republican policies to be in keeping with Christian ethics. Its actually what the conference I am trying to put together will be about.